Wednesday, March 23, 2011

CF Games Wod 11.1

The 2011 CrossFit Games have started!  CF made HUGE changes to the process this year by allowing anyone in the world to compete in the Sectional  for $10.  I was initially disappointed to not have the weekend Sectional competition that would determine who qualified for Regionals.  I had heard great things about the energy levels and didn't know if that could be created with an "open" sectionals spread over 6 weeks.  Now, I see how wise that was and how much more the sport (yes, CF IS a sport, get on board) will grow as a result.  Instead of 2-3 people from each gym preparing for sectionals, the ENTIRE gym can take part.  How cool is that?

I was still hesitant to register because I knew my fitness level is no where near what it was and I wasn't sure I wanted that to be revealed to everyone else.  The first wod was released and I was relieved that the movements were not too difficult but also anxious because I wasn't good at either of them.  As a result of the overwhelming web traffic the CF Games site crashed several times and forced them to extend week 1 by another week.  This gave me 2 chances to do the wod and another week to get in better shape.  While I was only able to increase my score by 6 reps in the 2nd attempt, I do think I benefited from getting more workouts in over the past week. After finding myself out of breath 5:00 into the wod I vowed that I would work harder to increase my capacity so I would not be limited by something I should be good at (aerobic capacity).
my score: 218.  top score in the world: 445.

3 comments:

  1. What do these wods consist of?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Functional movements executed at high intensity across broad time and modal domains"...
    or see:
    http://games.crossfit.com/

    ReplyDelete