On sunday I did my first Olympic Tri, in downtown Indy. The race is unique in that the swim leg is done in a man-made canal which is only 4 feet deep and has sidewalks on both sides. This offers both the comfort of not drowning (if you get in trouble, just stand up) and also of having your fans cheer you on along the entire swim course. Only downside: the water isn't exactly "flowing" and has just as much garbage and algae as any other semi-stagnant pond. yum...
I was a bit anxious to do this race since I hadn't been able to train the last month because of the fatigue issues. I had only been doing a few CF WOD's a week with a few swims thrown in here and there. So, with no idea how I would feel, I was just hoping to keep a steady pace and practice my nutrition intake. I started towards the back of the field, knowing my swim would be slow and that was a good call as I only got passed by a few people and didn't have to deall with multiple waves of folks trying to get around me. Once again, I had trouble with my legs cramping and was left to just pull with my arms for most of the swim. It was encouraging to look over and see whit walking alongside me the whole way; I even did some backstroke so I could talk to her and pose for a few photos. I could sense I was going slow, but tried to keep a steady pace as best I could, finishing in 37:21.
I am realizing that transitions are not my forte as I don't like to rush thu them. I was looking around, looking for someone to talk to, but most everyone was busy trying to get out of there as quick as they could. I tried to put my bike shoes on, but every time I bent down my hamstrings would cramp up, so I focused on eating my banana and hammer bar. I got out in under 5:00, which is about 3:00 longer than most everyone else.... The bike went well, I was able to get into a comfortable rhythem and again did my best to keep the pace steady. I realized that I need to figure out a better way to keep my bike computer in place as it was moving around constantly. As with the 1/2 IM, I got bored after a while, riding by myself. I wished I could have some music or a book to read or something to focus on besides how my stomach felt after downing the gel or keeping my water bottle and computer from falling off. I really don't know how I will stay sane thru 6 hours of that next month.
I spent another 5:00 in T2, but was able to get out on the run feeling pretty good. I decided to run as hard as I could while keeping my breathing level and form strong. I was stoked to go thru the first 2 miles in under 14:00 and the first 5K in just over 20:00. about mile 4 my quads started cramping and I reluctantly ate a gel and drank a bunch of water, knowing I'd have to slow down a bit, but also hoping to prevent a total breakdown before the finish. Stomach didn't feel to great for a mile or so, but I was able to cruise home to a 42:31 10K time. As soon as I stopped, both legs locked up and I knew I hadn't taken enough sodium, something I need to be sure to focus on at the IM. overall, I was happy to be able to do the race and not have any serious issues. I'm hoping to be able to try some tempo rides and runs this week, knowing that I have to prepare my body a lot more for the 140 miles of torture that await.
No comments:
Post a Comment