I saw the crew as I was coming out of T2 and they were encouraging me and lifting me up. Chris also reminded me that he was expecting a sub 4-hour marathon time; this was good in that it gave me a goal and pace to shoot for. I started easy, trying to follow the same plan as the swim and bike. I was glad to not have too much pain in my feet from the bike and I felt pretty good considering I'd been racing for over 9 hours.
I must share briefly about what I believe to be the biggest physical factor that prepared me for and sustained me thru the race. All those close to me know that I've been raving about the CrossFit (CF) workout program for a while now and this year added the CrossFit Endurance (CFE) program as well. CF is a total body program that IMO, gives you a superior level of fitness and prepares you for any physical challenge you may face. CFE compliments CF by adding endurance building workouts for the triathletes/adventure racers/ultra runners/etc. Until this past winter I was only casually following the workouts, picking and choosing which ones I wanted to do. Once I committed 100% I was amazed at how much stronger and "fitter" I got. The biggest additions for me were the squats & deadlifts as I had never really worked my legs and as a result had tight, weak legs. I could run for days, but ask me to pick something heavy off the ground and I could feel my hamstrings twinge. But once I started doing those exercises with actual heavy weight (not just 20# dumbbells), my legs got stronger and I got faster. The CFE plan is lots of short, intense intervals and some tempo & TT work. I had committed this spring to using only CF & CFE to train for the IM, rather than the traditional high-mileage/time-heavy program. I also totally changed my running form this spring; after 20+ years of running, I did my best to switch from being a heel-striker to a forefoot/barefoot style (also called POSE) runner. It wasn't easy to retrain myself but I loved how easy POSE running felt and after the CFE cert I was certain it was going to pay off huge for me in races. So, to summarize, though I was coming in w/ less mileage (a LOT less due to the fatigue) than most, I felt by being stronger my body wouldn't break down as much as most (as the CFE guys pointed out: from the mid-pack on, you see a lot of broken down bodies coming across the line at IM).
ok, back to the run...
I breezed through the first mile in 7:50 and had to battle my conscience. Part of me wanted to put the hammer down and bust out a 3:30 marathon, but then I remembered that other than my 1/2 IM race, my longest run of the year was about 8 miles and decided to ease off a bit. From that point on, I tried to run a steady low 8 minutes-per-mile pace between aid stations and then stop and walk at each one, while grabbing something to eat/drink. It was tough to slow down and walk ("I wanna go fast!") but I knew I still needed to get calories and liquids into my system to avoid bonking. I alternated b/t gatorade and water and occasionally would take a piece of orange or banana (I could no longer stomach the sweetness of the gels, after avoiding sugar for the past 2 months I had already taken in much more than my body was used to). The run course was by far the funnest b/c there were people cheering the entire way. I ran around the cool parts of downtown and then thru the Univ of WI campus. My race bib also had my name on it, so many people were able to call my name as they cheered, which makes a huge difference.
As I was in the back of the pack, the only quick runners around me were on their 2nd lap. That being said, I only remember getting passed by a few people, one of whom I caught at the finish. While most others were going at a 10:00 mile pace, I was still going at low 8:00's and felt like I was flying past people. It was encouraging, but also frustrating b/c there was no one to pace off of, I was entirely on my own. As I made my way to the halfway point (which happened to be right next to the finish) I began to get really emotional. I tried to hold back the tears but kept losing my breath and would have to suck in a huge amount of air to keep from hyperventilating. I knew I would see whit and the crew and didn't want to freak them out so I pulled myself together as I approached them and didn't stop, just told them to pray for me and kept going.
Turning around just before the finish to start my 2nd lap was really tough. Many others were running past me down the finish shoot and I was jealous and frustrated that I was now running away from the finish line. This brought back the emotions and I tried not to break down as I can't imagine how crazy it would be to see some guy sobbing while running, but then maybe that's more common in the Ironman. Some guy was holding a sign that said "savor every moment" and I caught myself actually saying "OK, I will" out loud to him as I ran past. I could go on & on with more details and feel free to ask, but the main focus on the last 13 miles was to just keep moving. My knees were hurting pretty bad as my form was breaking down and I was pounding the ground rather than lightly stepping, I was hungry for real food and as it got dark I felt more lonely. there were less and less people out cheering towards the back of the course (mile 18-22) and my mind got weak. I rationalized that I didn't care what time I got so there was no point in running hard and that most everyone around me was walking so I might as well walk too. I also began praying out loud, asking God to help get me home. Needing more fuel, I now took some coke at the aid stations and twice took chicken broth (surprisingly tasty and filling!); I wouldn't let myself have any cookies...
I knew if I got to mile 20 in 3 hours, I would have a chance to finish the run in under 4 hours. Once I did that I determined to not slow down and if I had a slow mile, I would punish myself by running even harder the next mile. Some guy came out of nowhere to pass me and I followed him to the next aid station, where he stopped and I never saw him again. Regardless, it felt great to run fast (that mile was around 7:45) and I pushed on, wanting to finish as soon as possible, if only to finally be able to lay down. I didn't stop for the last 3 miles, didn't want to give myself a chance to rest and possibly not get going again. As I approached downtown and the crowds my confidence grew and I piled it on. I'm pretty sure the last mile was all uphill, at least that's how it felt, but I would not let myself slow down. I focused on the POSE - light, quick steps and if I slowed, I would lean forward to speed up again. I came to the line going as fast as I could and then had to slow down as there was a group of guys all finishing together and didn't want to get in their way. I heard them say my name and "you are an Ironman", but that didn't hit me like I thought it would; partly b/c the mis-pronounced my name and partly b/c at that point, I didn't need him to say it to know it - every part of my body knew it and felt it.
The crew was there waiting for me and I cried as whit hugged me and this time I didn't hold back. After hugs all around, I got some fruit and water and just wanted to sit down. It was truly an epic day and I felt thankful and blessed to have had the opportunity & strength to finish the race. I wasn't alone in the battle and it felt good to have God & the crew lifting me up all day.
run time: 3:55 rank: 182/2397
finish time: 13:23:39 rank: 1174/2397 (I passed 800+ people on the run)
That's pretty much all I have to say about that...
No comments:
Post a Comment