It has become more apparent to me that I have let way too much "stuff" fill up my free/down time to the point where I don't have any true quiet times apart from sleeping. This is not good. While I love to be around people and have been craving information/knowledge this year, I also know that a part of me desires and needs a regular time of reflection - a time to sit quietly, away from the many stimuli that cry out for my attention and also to spend some of that time journaling, praying and letting those deeper thoughts simmer their way to my conscience. The loss of these moments has started to weigh on me as I feel less connected to God as well as my hopes and dreams.
So, this week I did something about it. Whit was gone on a business trip and the weather was warm for a change so I took a day off and went down to the Hoosier National Forest to spend a night in the woods. I asked a few friends if they wanted to join me, but wasn't disappointed when I had to go solo as this would make it easier to bask in the silence. I have been down to the HNF a few times now and have found some amazing camping spots that sit right on Lake Monroe. Being the middle of the week, there was no one else on the trails, and after a hour hike I made it down to a perfect spot and set up camp. I don't know what it is about nature, but it has always been a special thing/place to me, allowing me to cast aside the worries of daily life to focus on creation and the Creator. I was able to spend an entire evening reflecting and resting, at times letting my mind wander and other times corralling my thoughts to the pages of my journal. It was what I wanted, it was what I needed.
While I would've liked to have had a few days down there, I was glad to have the one day to bring some focus back to my heart and mind. There are some intriguing possibilities on the horizon and for the first time in a long while I am excited about what the future holds. I have been so anxious to work more out of my passions and my hope is building that this may be the case for me soon. All the more reason to continue to set aside time to clear my thoughts. Now, if I could just keep the tv turned off...
So true. I'm glad you took advantage of the weather and the solitude that nature has to offer.One of these days I'm going to get out there too. We are all way too busy and distracted with goods things at the expense of the best thing.
ReplyDelete