Friday, January 16, 2009

All about the Pull-Ups

When I saw the posted CF WOD (workout of the day) today, I laughed. While I like pull-ups (now that I can do more than 5 at a time) this WOD was plain ridiculous:

10 sets - for time of:

3 weighted Pull Ups (45# dumbbell b/t your feet)
5 strict Pull Ups (no swinging/kipping)
7 kipping Pull Ups (kipping involves a controlled swing, engaging your shoulders, abs/core)

150 pull ups... wow.

tony claimed he had an urgent matter at work and chris said he wasn't ready to attempt it, so I was forced to go at this one alone. I felt good and tried to do a decent warm-up to get ready for the torture and hoped that I would be able to finish this in time to make it home for the office...

I started out strong, getting the first set done in a few mins. After 3 sets I realized that there was NO way I could continue using the 45# d-bell and so dropped to a 25# d-bell for the last 7 sets. I also had to try different grips on the strict PU's to keep my hands and forearms from shredding. I would alternate b/t palms away, palms facing me and a split/deadlift grip. Amazingly, I kept moving w/o taking any major breaks and finished in 20:04. I was stoked!

When I woke up the next day I realized there was a bonus to the killer back/arm WO - sore abs. I didn't think about it at the time, but while I was straining to reach the top on the weighted PU's, I must have pulled my feet up a bit b/c my abs were wrecked. A big thank you to coach Glassman for coming up with this crazy WOD.

No comments:

Post a Comment