Monday, January 26, 2009

swim workout + PR

In case you don't know me, let me just be honest about my swimming ability: I'm slow. I know I'm far away from being able to lead the field out of the water in the triathlon. But, I am happy to be getting faster and setting new PR's each month. My training program is much different than last year in that I am doing half as much distance and a lot more short intervals. So far, it's working and I'm pretty happy about that...
Today's swim workout:
2 x 500 yards w/ 2 min rest in b/t
1st 500 : 9:48
2nd 500: 9:15 - a new PR! (by 25 seconds)

Chris did the WO w/ me today and killed me on the 1st set and I think trying to keep up with him (and salvage my pride) helped me to get the PR. It always makes the WO so much better when you have someone else right beside you giving it their all and even more so when that person is better than you. Thanks man...

On a side note, I was sharing by new PR with another friend and while I wasn't bragging, I was feeling good about myself. He mentioned that he used to swim in high school and is trying to get back into shape. I told him my time and that I hoped to get into the low 8's by this summer. He politely informed me that he thought I should keep working on my form since as an average swimmer, he swam a 7 min 500 in high school. welcome back humility...

No comments:

Post a Comment